Tuesday, April 07, 2009

So Many Things to Celebrate!

I sat down at my computer this morning to check email. The first one I opened started with the line, "By now I hope you have received the good news that you passed the bar exam. Congratulations!" I hadn't received anything at all in the mail yet, so I ran to my mailbox (conveniently located approximately 12 feet from my computer), and there was my letter! I passed! I have to finish up my clerkship requirements and then be sworn in by the Vermont Supreme Court, and then I'll be a shiny new lawyer.

And THEN! The Vermont Legislature voted to overturn the governor's veto of the same-sex marriage bill, and by a single vote margin, same-sex marriage became legal in Vermont. This makes Vermont the first state to give same-sex couples the right to marry through legislative action, as opposed to judicial action. Spectacular! I'm very happy to live in a state that supports equality issues.

And so concludes my celebrations for the day. Yay!

No comments: